Tuesday 1 May 2012

Nannies put children at risk according to Australian Childcare Alliance



Some of you reading this may not know that Australia is in the throes of a debate over if parents who hire nannies should qualify for childcare rebates.

The Australian Childcare Alliance, which represents 70% of the long-day childcare sector, claims Nannies have no childcare qualifications and that the nanny course available in Australia is a 'babysitting' course which falls significantly short of the standard set in long-day care centres.

This article even states they go as far as saying that nannies put children at risk and place them 'well behind their peers' by the time they get to school.

I'm passionate about the value that hard working nannies bring to families. It disappoints me to think that the Australian childcare industry has such an uninformed view of the standard of care that nannies can provide.

Many many nannies are qualified and dedicated career nannies whose training at least equals if not surpasses that of their childcare centre counterparts. Most of them have done their stint in childcare centres and left to work in home environments which they feel strongly are more beneficial to children.

These comments from nannies on our Facebook page show nannies too are upset:

'Oh that's so offensive no matter what training you have. I studied EC Ed at uni and found CCC in NSW didn't want me because I am 'over qualified'. I love nannying so much more, the children get do much more one on one learning and in the familiar environment of their own home.'


'I was so angry when I read this.. It makes us all look like we are all unqualified baby sitters. I have been a nanny for 10 years and have cert 3 and the nanny certificate.'


'My oldest girls teacher just came to me last week and told me that my 6 year old is going to qualify for the assessment they give for gifted (now called academically advanced) children next year. Guess who was her nanny in preschool and does her homework everyday with her now? Her un-uni-qualified nanny, that's who. What about stay at home Mums, are their kids falling behind too?'


'I am an unqualified nanny and I know that doesn't make the children I look after fall behind. I once nannied a 7 yr old who was behind in his year before I got there. After 3 months of nannying him he had caught up and was top of the class, figure that out Ms Ley! I make an effort to research teaching methods all the time and constantly learn new things from the children I look after.'


'I'm nannying in the UK at the moment and the little girl I look after has been going to a private nursery where top ££ is paid for 2.5 years 5 days a week and she could not finish the alphabet when I started or count to 20. I have been with her for 8 short months. And with her not "degree educated" nanny she is doing small math sums, can finish the alphabet and is starting to read all before she starts reception in September.'

Obviously there are always exceptions to the rule and just as some nannies will not be up to the job, we've also turned away many qualified applicants with childcare centre experience who we feel just don't have the initiative, energy or common sense required to work as a nanny.

What I would like to see is these 'childcare industry professionals' embrace nannying as an excellent alternative or support to childcare centre care if provided with the right structure.

In NZ nannies work through the same government set curriculum that the children work through in childcare centres and the popular system works very very well.

If Australia could come to understand the benefits of this unique and useful option then I truly believe the Australian Education system would be a more supportive and beneficial one for families.

Rachel Lewis
Director, KiwiOz Nannies

www.kiwiozchildcare.com.au
www.kiwiozchildcare.co.uk
www.kiwiozchildcare.co.nz


1 comment: